5G is Fast
5G tops out at 10 gigabits per second (Gbps). 5G is 10 to x100 faster than what you can get with 4G.
5G allows for Greater Capacity and Quality
5G uses shorter frequencies which not only boost speed, but also capacity and quality.
5G is a Game Changer
5G will enable new "Internet of Things" devices that will be able to connect to the network
5G has Lower Power Consumption
Connected objects using 5G will be able to operator for months or years without the need for human assistance.
Review of Mobile Network Generations
- 1G, the first generation of telecom networks (1979), let us talk to each other and be mobile
- 2G digital networks (1991) let us send messages and travel (with roaming services)
- 2.5G and 2.75G brought some improvement to data services (GPRS and EDGE)
- 3G (1998) brought a better mobile internet experience (with limited success)
- 3.5G brought a truly mobile internet experience, unleashing the mobile apps eco-system
- 4G (2008) networks brought all-IP services (Voice and Data), a fast broadband internet experience, with unified networks architectures and protocols
- 4 G LTE ( for Long Term Evolution), starting in 2009, doubled data speeds
- 5G networks expand broadband wireless services beyond mobile internet to IoT and critical communications segments