The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), located within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), has issued an Order under Section 361 of the Public Health Service Act to temporarily halt residential evictions for nonpayment of rent from September 4, 2020 through December 31, 2020. A landlord, owner of a residential property, or other person with a legal right to pursue an eviction or a possessory action cannot evict for nonpayment of rent from any ‘covered person’ from any residential property in any U.S. state or U.S. territory where the Order applies. This order supersedes local moratorium lifts. Learn more.
Know Your Rights
- A 3-day notice is not the same as an eviction.
- Evictions are court ordered.
- Rent increases must be requested with advanced notice as stated in a lease.
- Tenants are not required to pay fees not listed on the lease or addendums.
- Tenants are protected under fair housing laws.
- Tenants are entitled to a written lease agreement.
- Tenants have rights for repairs to be made
- Tenants are entitled to the security deposit if no damages have been made.
Submit A Declaration Form
A tenant, lessee, or resident of a residential property must provide a completed and signed copy of the declaration, to their landlord, owner of the residential property where they live, or other person who has a right to have them evicted or removed from where they live.
The declaration may be signed and transmitted either electronically or by hard copy. Each adult listed on the lease, rental agreement, or housing contract should complete the declaration.
Housing Counseling Agencies
Real Estate Education and Community Housing, Inc. (R.E.A.C.H.)
4006 S. MacDill Ave.
Tampa, FL 33611
Housing & Education Alliance
9215 N. Florida Ave., Ste. 104
Tampa, FL 33612
(813) 932-HOME (4663)
Solita's House, Inc.
3101 E. 7th Ave.
Tampa, FL 33605
3824 W. Sligh Ave.
Tampa, FL 33614
Filing a Fair Housing Complaint
Within Tampa City Limits
City of Tampa Office of Human Rights (FHAP Agency)
4900 W. Lemon Street Tampa, FL 33609
Outside Tampa City Limits
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)