Tampa Union Station, located at 601 N. Nebraska Avenue, was donated to the City by the rail freight company, CSX. It was restored by the nonprofit group Tampa Union Station Preservation & Redevelopment Inc., with grant funds provided by the Florida Department of Transportation, the City of Tampa, and a no interest loan from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Altogether, more than $4 million in grants and loans were spent on the restoration of the station.
Designed by architect J.F. Leitner, the historic train station was completed in 1912 and was closed in 1984, due to structural deterioration. Following its restoration, a grand re-opening ceremony was held on May 30, 1998.
Union Station, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, the National Register of Historic Railroad Landmarks, and is a City of Tampa-designated landmark, celebrated its Centennial in 2012 and today serves as the Tampa Bay area's primary Amtrak station. The nonprofit group Friends of Tampa Union Station works to ensure its continued preservation by raising funds for an endowment fund for the station at the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay.
(click on an image for a larger view)