The City of Tampa will celebrate its 135th birthday during Archives Awareness Week, with exhibits and programs taking place at local archives on July 10 - July 16. These programs are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
Archives Awareness Week was established in 1992 by the City of Tampa. During this week, local archivists come together to present their collections through exhibits and programs that convey the value of archives in the identification, preservation, and conservation of historic records.
Archives Awareness Week is held during the second week of July to coincide with the City of Tampa’s July 15th birthday.
For more information, please visit tampa.gov/aaw.
ARCHIVES AWARENESS WEEK EVENTS
- On Sunday, July 10 at 3:00 p.m., the Henry B. Plant Museum will feature a lecture by Dr. Charles McGraw Groh on the history of the Tampa Bay Hotel Casino.
- On Monday, July 11 at 11:00 a.m., the J.C. Newman Company will have a program about its unique history. The program will be held in its cigar hand-rolling room.
- On Monday, July 11, at 3:00 p.m., the City of Tampa will have a presentation featuring local historians Fred Hearns and E.J. Salcines, who will discuss Tampa 100 years ago. Guests will receive a new publication, Tampa in 1922.
- On Tuesday, July 12, at 5:00 p.m., the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library will host a virtual program on historical Sanborn maps. https://bit.ly/3K5ceS1
- On Wednesday, July 13, at 12:00 p.m., the Tampa Bay History Center will offer a virtual program on the preservation of family heirlooms. tampabayhistorycenter.org/events
- On Wednesday, July 13 at 5:00 p.m., the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library will host a virtual program on historical banking records. https://bit.ly/3vmtdv5
- On Thursday, July 14 at 11:00 a.m., the Tampa Bay History Center will feature a program entitled A Century of SOHO: Stories and Archives on Howard Avenue.
- On Thursday, July 14 at 2:00 p.m., USF Libraries will offer a virtual program on Governor LeRoy Collins’ and race relations. https://bit.ly/USFAAWEEK
- On Thursday, July 14 at 3:30 p.m., City of Tampa staff will offer a Soul Walk History Party digitizing historical black history photographs and recording oral histories at the C. Blythe Andrews, Jr. Public Library.
- On Friday, July 15 at 10:00 a.m., the Tampa Bay History Center will offer a Ybor City walking tour. https://tampabayhistorycenter.org/tampa-history-walking-tours/
- On Friday, July 15, at 1:00 p.m and 4:00 p.m., the Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Library will showcase its special collection.
- On Saturday, July 16 at 2:00 p.m., the C. Blythe Andrews Library has a program highlighting its historical Florida Sentinel Bulletin collection.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Jennifer Dietz, MLIS, CRM
Archives and Records Manager, Office of the City Clerk
Archives and Records Division
phone: (813) 274-7181 / email: email@example.com