The East Tampa Youth Leadership and Entrepreneurship Academy is an organized developmental program through the guidance of the East Tampa Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for young scholars between the ages of 15 and 18 years old and who reside within the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area. The admittance will not exceed forty scholars. The purpose of the academy is to empower teenage emerging leaders through the avenues of; strategic planning, leadership growth, business design, educational enhancement, and community development. As part of their community development, participants in this Academy will provide volunteer services in connection with programs and activities consistent with the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Plan.
Who Can Apply and Criteria?
- Teenagers between the ages of 15 and 18 that live within the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Area.
- Scholars must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA.
- Complete the Academy application
- Three reference letters:
- Educational Reference Letter (Educator or Administrator)
- Family Reference Letter (Parent/Relative)
- Community Reference Letter (Faith Leader, Community Leaders, Business owner)
Volunteer Service: Each scholar selected to the Academy must complete 3 hours of community service each month granted their admittance to the Academy, in programs and activities consistent with the East Tampa Community Redevelopment Plan.
Attendance Policy: Scholars cannot miss more than 2 sessions. All absences must be excused at least 72 hours before the current month session by an Academy Personnel unless a proven emergency has established.
Parental Involvement: As we endeavor to provide substantial opportunities for our scholars, we will seek to do the same as well for their parents. Parents will be invited to attend the monthly sessions and the volunteer opportunities with their children.
Academy Sessions: Academy sessions will be held once a month between 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at a designated City of Tampa/East Tampa complex during the months of June through May of each year.
Academy sessions will include but not limited to:
- Self-Identity and Self Discovery (Developing a personal mission/vision statement and vision board)
- Good Trouble (Making a lasting impact on your generation)
- Leadership Development / Time Management
- Workforce Development
- Financial Literacy
- Starting a Business 101
- Real Estate and property acquisition
- Computer Literacy/Digital Platforms
- Politics in the 21st Century
- Where do I go from here? Academics, Military, and or Vocational Training
- Community Organization
- The Impact of Community Service on the East Tampa community.
At the successful completion of the Academy, each scholar will participate in a business leadership gradation program.
The Academy will work with the City of Tampa to create employable workforce opportunities for the scholars during the summer.