Special Events FAQ

ose logo

How does my production company get a film permit in Tampa?

Contact Film Tampa Bay. Music video, feature film, student project or a still photography shoot on all City property need a permit.

What event requires a Special Event Permit?

A celebration like a festival, fair, concert, parade or run held on City property or Right of Way that expects 301 or more people.

Do I need a permit if my activity does not fit the criteria above?

Yes, all organized activities that expect 25-300 people on City property need a permit. 

Facility Use Rental Permit is also required:

  • For a proposed activity desiring to reserve use of a recreational facility.
  • For any event taking place in a city park with an estimated number of participants and spectators of 25 or more.
  • For a proposed activity that includes organized athletics or a performance.
  • For a proposed activity that includes commercial activity. Only available to non-profit organizations.

How do I begin the process of getting a Special Event Permit?

Contact the Office of Special Events. First-time events should contact at least six months in advance for adequate planning time.  

Contact the Office of Special Events at least 90 days prior for any events with road closures or temporary alcohol use. All other events must apply at least 60 days in advance of proposed event.

Where will I find the Application Forms and Packets?

Refer to Forms and Documents.   Incomplete and late applications are not accepted and will delay processing.

Can I promote my event before I get a permit?

Please do not publicize your event if you've only filed an application form.  Filing an application does not guarantee approval of your event.

How do I decide which Park will be best for a social gathering of people for celebrations, reunions, etc. ?

Parks that have shelters are ideal for such celebrations.  Popular parks include Al Lopez Park, Ballast Point Park, Copeland Park, Lowry Park, Macfarlane Park, Picnic Island Park, Water Works Park, Julian B. Lane Riverfront Park and Rowlett Park.  Select a park that has enough parking to accommodate your anticipated attendance. 

I want to have a moon bounce at the park in conjunction with my picnic shelter rental. What do I have to do?

Select a vendor from the Approved Vendor List as they will have the required insurance to operate in City of Tampa parks.  You may only have one moon bounce per shelter rental. Moon bounce may not exceed the following dimensions: 20' length, 20' width, 17' height and must be a dry-bounce only.  Not every park can have a moon bounce, contact the Picnic Shelter office for more information. 

Do you have any locations where I can hold a wedding or wedding reception?

Yes, the Seminole Garden Center or  Tampa River Center are two popular options. If you can't find a suitable date at either location, you can take a look at our other Community Centers.  On-site staff at these facilities will coordinate rentals of the Community Centers.

How do I rent a picnic shelter?

You can make a reservation online or call 813-274-8184.