Stop Service

If you are moving to another location and need to arrange to have your service discontinued, you can either complete the Utility Stop Service Request form online or call the Utilities Call Center at (813) 274-8811.  

A final bill will be sent to you at your forwarding address. 

Please allow up to 5 business days for your request to be processed. 

Have questions? 

You can call the Utilities Call Center at (813) 274-8811, Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm for additional assistance.