Careful attention to safety can minimize fireplace hazards.
Many people choose Fireplaces and Wood Stoves as a source of heat for our mild Florida winters. Don't be fooled by our short cold season. Be aware of the safety hazards when controlling a live fire.
- Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary.
- Never burn charcoal indoors, for it can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
- NEVER close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. This can cause the ashes to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
- Do not use excessive amounts of paper to build raging fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to preventing embers or sparks from jumping out.