- Be on alert! Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — away from your stovetop.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- When frying heat oil slowly to the temperature you need for frying or sautéing.
- Add food gently to the pot or pan so the oil does not splatter.
- Keep anything that can catch fire -- oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains -- away from your stovetop.
Cooking Fire Prevention Safety
Was this page helpful? or
Thanks for letting us know!
Help us improve by leaving a quick comment
- Tell us what was confusing, missing or inaccurate about this page.
- We will not reply to comments, use the Page Enhancement Request below if you want a formal reply.
- Do not submit any personal or sensitive information such as account numbers or names.
- OR-For a formal response complete the Page Enhancement Request form.