In April 2017, Mayor Bob Buckhorn announced the “Autism Friendly Tampa” initiative which is a joint partnership with the City of Tampa and CARD-USF. Our goal is to create a more welcoming and sensory friendly experience for people of all abilities. CARD-USF has provided training, resources and technical assistance to various departments within the City of Tampa. An Autism Friendly Tampa Advisory Board, consisting of self advocates, parents and service providers, has been established to guide and advise the City on inclusive programs and the needs of autistic community members.
- Help Us Help You Special Needs Registry (Police Dept.)
- Therapeutic Recreation Program (Parks & Recreation Dept.)
- City Park Experience Stories (Parks & Recreation Dept.)
- What is autism spectrum disorder?
- If you are concerned that your child is not meeting developmental milestones - act early! Information for Families
- Early screening and intervention are critical!
- Treatment and Intervention Therapies
Assistance and Resources:
- Center for Autism and Related Disabilities at USF
- Autism Speaks Tool Kit
- Center for Autism and Related Disabilities at USF - Community / Business Initiative
- CARD Services for Families
- PBS “What is Autism?”
- Florida Department of Health
- Diagnostic Resources: Early Steps of Florida Department of Health and Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resource System (FDLRS)
- Education Rights: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Office for Civil Rights
- Employment assistance
- Safety: Information on various safety topics, emergency management and wandering prevention
- Tips for Speech Therapy at Home for Children with Autism