The City of Tampa is a self-insured public entity as defined under §768 F.S. The City’s Risk Management/Claims Office serves the city by maintaining insurance programs to protect the city from unexpected losses and by processing claims from citizens.
Steps for filing a claim with the City of Tampa:
- If you feel you have a legal basis for a claim against the City, you should first determine that the incident happened within city limits, or involved property owned by the City of Tampa. To determine if your incident happened within city limits, Go to our address locator tool (My Government Services Map) https://www.tampa.gov/construction-services/city-limits, enter the address in the search field, then click the arrow on the bottom right of the page to see the municipality. If the incident happened outside the City of Tampa, please contact that municipality.
- Complete a City of Tampa Citizen Claim Form and submit it to the City of Tampa Risk Management/Claims Office along with supporting documentation. You can submit a claim form electronically here.
- Supporting documents include items such as invoices, estimates, photographs, or anything that supports the value of your claim and why you believe the city is at fault.
- Click https://www.tampa.gov/human-resources/risk-management/vehicle-liability for additional information about automobile/vehicle liability claims.
- If you are filing an injury claim, you may be asked to complete additional forms.
- Await a Response. You will receive a confirmation number acknowledging your claim submission. A City of Tampa Claims Investigator will be assigned to your claim within 24-48 hours of receipt of your claim form. The claims investigator will conduct a thorough investigation, which may include contacting you for further information. Upon completion of the investigation, you will be notified of the outcome in writing.