A Closer Look
East Tampa is a culturally rich and historically diverse area of Tampa, ideally situated between Downtown, the Port of Tampa, and the University of South Florida, offering convenient access to three interstates and Tampa International Airport. Property values within the East Tampa area have increased more than 60% over the past five years, and the community continues to attract private investment throughout its 7.5 square mile area. East Tampa features numerous special neighborhood communities, such as Ybor Heights, College Hill-Belmont Heights, V.M. Ybor, Jackson Heights, North Ybor, Grant Park, and Highlands Park neighborhoods.
East Tampa has been the focus of tremendous infrastructure investment by the City of Tampa and its many partners in transportation, water, wastewater, and stormwater. The Complete Infrastructure-East Tampa Neighborhood Improvements Program provides for street resurfacing, sidewalks, and the design and installation of traffic calming devices such as chicanes, deviators, bulb-outs, medians, and raised intersections.
Foundation for Tampa’s Neighborhoods Project – East Tampa Area will improve the City of Tampa’s water distribution system by replacing the existing water mains and increasing the capacity of the system. It will also improve the system’s ability to serve a growing population. Approximately 35,271 Linear Feet of water mains ranging from 2 to 12 inches in diameter will be replaced and upgraded.
East Columbus Drive is a key corridor within East Tampa and is the focus of significant investment by the City and its many partners. The Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) / City of Tampa Walk-Bike Plan identified the E. Columbus Drive project as the fourth-highest priority walk-bike project for the City. The InVision Center City Plan also identified this segment of E. Columbus Drive as a key corridor to provide safe, walkable, and bikeable neighborhood connectivity. The design of this project prioritizes pedestrian safety, enhances the transit stops along the corridor, and provides cyclists with options while maintaining vehicular capacity and on-street parking.
- Belmont Heights Estates – A 74-acre site containing 825 completed affordable rental units, 36 planned for sale units, 4 community centers, and multiple open space areas distributed throughout the community.
- Cyrus Greene Center – A community center offering recreational activities and after school programs for the local neighborhoods.
- J.C. Newman Cigar Company – America’s oldest family-owned premium cigar maker since 1985, headquartered in an iconic 111-year-old cigar factory, “El Reloj.”
- Cove Behavioral Health – A community-based provider of behavioral health services, serving Hillsborough, Polk, and surrounding counties.
- HCSPS Instructional Service Center – School district office for all of Hillsborough County Public Schools
- *Coming soon: Hanna Street – State-of-the-art City of Tampa building, which will serve as headquarters for several departments.