The Variance Review Board (VRB) receives its direction from Article 2, Division 3 of Chapter 27.
The VRB usually meets the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM in City Council Chambers, 315 E. Kennedy Boulevard, 3rd Floor. Please see the VRB Calendar. For the return to City Council Chambers, please note the following procedures that are being put in place in order to ensure public safety:
Welcome to the Public Hearing for the Barrio Latino Commission/Architectural Review Commission/ Variance Review Board. Due to Covid-19 health precautions, limited attendance is permitted in City Council Chambers. A Presenter and Participant waiting area has been established on the 2nd floor of Old City Hall for your safety and convenience. Please follow the instructions below during your visit:
All individuals are required to wear a facial covering at all times during your visit.
Upon entry to the building check in with the Security Guard at the 1st Floor Lobby.
Please report to the 2nd Floor waiting area. A staff member will greet you and check you in for your case.
Once checked in, you may take a seat until your case is ready to be heard, in order of the agenda. While in the waiting area, please maintain social distancing protocols. A staff member will advise you of the appropriate time to proceed to Council Chambers on the 3rd Floor.
Once inside Council Chambers, please be seated in the audience area. The Chairperson will review the hearing procedures and you will be sworn in; then, the review of your case will commence. Please proceed to the podium to present your case. Please note that the podium area will be sanitized between speakers.
When your case is complete, please exit Council Chambers and proceed to the building exit. Please do not remain in the 3rd Floor lobby area. Staff will be directing other participants to Council Chambers and wants to ensure appropriate distancing is being maintained.
If you have questions for staff, following the conclusion of your public hearing, please contact the staff member during regular business hours, since the enhanced health protocols limit their availability during the public hearing process.
Members of the public who do not wish to appear in person, due to COVID-19 or otherwise, may submit written comments by mail to the Planning, Design and Development Offices, 1400 North Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33607 or by email to VRB@tampagov.net. All written comments must be received no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled meeting in order to be distributed to the Commission members and be included in the official record of the meeting. To check the status of the public hearing regarding postponement or cancellation, please contact the applicant.
The VRB shall only be authorized to grant variances in cases where the VRB expressly finds that the applicant has demonstrated practical difficulties or unnecessary hardships and that the request ensures the public health, safety and general welfare are protected. When reviewing a variance application, the VRB shall base its decision on substantial competent evidence in the official record and shall consider the following criteria:
- The alleged hardships or practical difficulties are unique and singular with respect to the property, or with respect to a structure or building thereon, and are not those suffered in common with other properties, structures, or buildings similarly located.
- The hardship or practical difficulty does not result from the actions of the applicant. A self-created hardship or practical difficulty shall not justify a variance.
- The variance, if granted, will not substantially interfere with or injure the health, safety, or welfare of others whose property would be affected by allowance of the variance.
- The variance is in harmony with, and serves the general intent and purpose of, this chapter and the adopted Tampa Comprehensive Plan.
- Allowing the variance will result in substantial justice being done, considering both the public benefits intended to be secured by this chapter and the individual hardships or practical difficulties that will be suffered due to a failure of the board to grant a variance.
The VRB may impose reasonable conditions upon the granting of any variance to ensure that the public health, safety and general welfare shall be protected and substantial justice done. Any violation of such conditions shall be a violation of this Code.
ADA Accommodation Request
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and Florida law, the City of Tampa will provide reasonable accommodations to any person with a disability who needs an accommodation in order to attend any City of Tampa public hearing or meeting of a body, board, or magistrate acting in its official capacity on behalf of the City of Tampa. To ensure that your request for accommodation can be considered, please ensure that the City of Tampa’s ADA Coordinator receives your request at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled public hearing or meeting by using one of the following methods to submit your request:
- through the City of Tampa’s online Customer Service Center using the ADA Accommodation Request Service
- by phone at (813) 274-3964
- by e-mail at TampaADA@tampagov.net or
- by mail to the City of Tampa ADA Coordinator, 306 E. Jackson Street, 280A4N, Tampa, Florida 33602.
Please note that the City of Tampa may not be able to accommodate any request received less than 48 hours before the scheduled public hearing or meeting.
Applicants, Petitioners, Respondents, Parties, Violators, and those receiving mailed notice who require an interpreter to participate in this public hearing or meeting should go to the following City webpage to request an interpreter: https://www.tampagov.net/interpreter-service
Los Solicitantes, los Peticionarios, los Enquestados, las Partes, los Infractores y los que reciben un aviso por correo que requieren un intérprete para participar en esta audiencia o reunión pública deben ir a la siguiente página web de la Ciudad para solicitar un intérprete: https://www.tampagov.net/interpreter-service