The Tampa Police Department is investigating a pair of recent robberies of delivery drivers believed to be related.
On October 17, 2023, at approximately 8:00 p.m., officers responded to the 2200 block of Osborne Avenue in reference to a robbery of a Papa John’s delivery driver.
An order was placed at a local Papa John’s location that listed the delivery address as 2223 E Osborne Ave Apt C, a unit that does not exist. Upon the delivery driver’s arrival, apartment C could not be located, and the driver called the customer. The customer instructed the driver to the back of the apartment complex, where four black juveniles were waiting for the driver. One suspect, armed with a knife, was described as wearing a black hoodie, a beige hat, and red sweatpants. At that same time, another suspect grabbed the order.
All four suspects immediately fled the area.
Detectives believe this incident is related to another robbery involving a Domino’s delivery driver that occurred on October 16, 2023, in the same neighborhood.
Anyone with information that could assist in the investigation is encouraged to contact Tampa Police at 813-231-6130 or submit an anonymous tip via Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay at 800-873-TIPS (8477).
While this remains an ongoing investigation, residents and delivery drivers are encouraged to follow these safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be cautious of delivery locations that appear unsafe (vacant lots, no lights, no yard maintenance, etc.)
- When in doubt, do not leave your vehicle. Drive to the nearest safe location and call, or return to, your store to obtain further instructions from your manager.
- Trust your instincts. If something does not look or feel right, do not make the delivery, immediately return to your store, or go to the nearest safe location.
- You should not be redirected to a different address or location after the original order is placed.
- Always have your cell phone nearby and don’t hesitate to call 911 in the event you feel threatened or see something suspicious.
- Consider installing cameras in your car.
- Provide clear instructions on where to drop off your order if you do not plan on meeting face-to-face.
- Ensure the drop area off is well lit, for your safety and the driver’s.