Police vehicles

Tampa Police Arrest Two Subjects on Gun and Narcotics Charges


After conducting a traffic stop, Tampa Police Officers recovered drugs and two guns from the car, one of which was illegally converted to a fully automatic machine gun. The driver and passenger were both arrested.

On May 18th, 2024, just before 10:30 pm, Tampa Police Officers observed a 2011 black Infiniti in the area of N 34th St and E MLK Blvd. The driver, later identified as 19-year-old Demetris B. Riggins (black male 8/17/2004), cut through a parking lot to avoid traffic at the intersection of N 29th St and E MLK Blvd. Officers conducted a traffic stop and, after detecting a strong odor of marijuana coming from the car, began a narcotics investigation.

During the investigation, officers located an empty holster in Riggins' waistband and a Glock 29 10mm handgun, with a loaded magazine and chambered round, inside the vehicle. The gun was also equipped with a "switch," illegally converting it to a fully automatic machine gun. A search of the vehicle further revealed various quantities of fentanyl (10.9 grams), marijuana (26.1 grams), and marijuana wax (1.3 grams).

A passenger in the vehicle, 18-year-old James Vickers (black male 4/5/2006), was found to be in possession of a Glock 40 caliber handgun.

Both Riggins and Vickers are under the age legally permitted to carry concealed firearms.

"Our officers are trained to be observant and address illegal activity, especially before it can escalate into violence," said Tampa Police Chief Lee Bercaw. "Taking these dangerous weapons and drugs off the streets is a prime example of how proactive policing is making Tampa a safer place for everyone."

Riggins was charged with Carrying a Concealed Firearm, Possession of an Operable Machine Gun, Armed Trafficking in Fentanyl, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Possession of Cannabis (more than 20 grams), and Possession of Cannabis Sativa Resin.

Vickers was charged with Carrying a Concealed Firearm.

Both subjects were transported to Orient Road Jail.