- DATE/TIME: Thursday December 24, 2020 @ 3:06 PM
- SUBJECT: Renardo Bucklon, black male (12/10/1976)
- LOCATION: 2904 Melburne Blvd
- OFFICERS: Sgt. Sean Stuart, 22 year TPD veteran; Sgt. Shannon Murphy, 17 year TPD veteran (both waived Marsy’s Law rights)
On December 24, Tampa Police responded to the report of a disturbance with gunfire at the Rodeway Inn. The armed suspect, Renardo Bucklon, then barricaded himself in a room, leading to a 21-hour negotiation for his surrender. Officers worked to de-escalate Bucklon, who has an extensive history of violent crime. Officers who attempted to approach the room were met with gunfire. One officer’s ballistic shield was struck by a bullet which became embedded. While negotiations were ongoing, less than lethal options, such as the deployment of chemical irritants, were used in effort to have Bucklon exit the room. An exchange of gunfire occurred when SWAT officers attempted a tactical approach of Bucklon’s room. Bucklon was struck and sustained a non-life-threatening wound. He was eventually taken into custody and transported to the hospital, where he remains in stable condition.
Below is a basic timeline of events to coincide with the body-worn camera video being released.
- 3:06 PM – Tampa Police respond to the report of a disturbance at the Rodeway Inn.
- 4:03 PM – Negotiators engage in ongoing dialogue with Bucklon to have him surrender
- 8:47 PM – Officers hear a muffled shot coming from the room, approach to check on Bucklon and are fired upon; Negotiations continue.
- 12:06 AM – Chemical irritant deployed into the room, Bucklon fires out through the window
- 1:02 AM – Tactical approach of room begins
- 1:04 AM – Gunfire is exchanged between Bucklon and SWAT officers Stuart and Murphy
- 4:50 AM – Bucklon fires from inside room
- 6:29 AM – Bucklon fires additional rounds
- 8:00 AM – HCSO arrives
- 11:50 AM – Suspect taken into custody
During an exchange of gunfire, Bucklon was struck and sustained a non-life threatening injury. He remains in the hospital at this time in stable condition. Bucklon has been charged with Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon (Firearm Discharge) and Felon in Possession of a Firearm. Additional felony charges are forthcoming.
Stuart and Murphy were placed on administrative leave with pay, which is standard procedure for any officer-involved shooting. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) continues its investigation into the officer-involved shooting aspect of this event.