Mayor Castor Announces Members of the Parks & Recreation Advisory Team
as part of her Transforming Tampa's Tomorrow Effort
The City of Tampa, under the direction of Mayor Jane Castor, has teamed up with Hillsborough County and the Cities of Temple Terrace and Plant City to develop a Parks & Recreation Advisory Team. This advisory team is examining if residents have equal and fair access to parks and services within their immediate community.
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Team met for the first time on Monday, April 18th at 9:00 a.m. at Tampa Police Department Headquarters.
“I’m excited by this collaborative effort that will help various City and County departments, as well as local organizations, better understand where we can improve park services and programs,” Mayor Jane Castor said. “In working together and agreeing on solutions, this Advisory Team will address the challenges and opportunities facing residents in our community.”
“Improving our public parks and recreation services is critically important for our community to continue to thrive," Hillsborough County Commissioner Kimberly Overman said. "A collaborative effort with the County, City, and our community partners, through the Parks and Recreation Advisory Team will offer a holistic perspective to create sustainable changes for our residents.”
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Team will complement the other Advisory Teams formed early in the Castor Administration that have been launched to focus on Housing Affordability, Workforce Development, Sustainability & Resilience, Transportation and Development Services, respectively. The Advisory Teams are vital to helping guide the Mayor's strategic visioning for key City priorities under her Transforming Tampa's Tomorrow initiatives.
Parks & Recreation Advisory Team Members
- Ocea Wynn – Administrator of Neighborhood & Community Affairs, City of Tampa
- Sherisha Hills – Director of Parks & Rec, City of Tampa
- Rick Valdez – Director of Parks & Rec, Hillsborough County
- Karl Langefeld - Temple Terrace - Director of Leisure Services, City of Temple Terrace
- Julie Garretson – Director of Parks & Rec, Plant City
- Celeste Roberts – President / CEO, The Skills Center
- Matt Mitchell – CEO, YMCA
- Terry Carter – CEO, Boys & Girls Club
- Kelley Parris – Executive Director, Children’s Board
- Michael McManus – Supervisor of Out of School Time (HOST), Hillsborough County Public Schools