Since taking office in 2019, Mayor Jane Castor has guided the City of Tampa through a pandemic, a historic Super Bowl hosting experience—and victory, in addition to countless milestones on the path to Transforming Tampa’s Tomorrow. To honor how far Tampa has come in just two years, Mayor Castor delivered a State of the City presentation unlike any other at 10 a.m. on June 2.
This year’s State of the City features a virtual tour of the places where Tampanians live, work, and play. Community members are invited to watch the 8-minute video to catch a glimpse of significant accomplishments from the last two years and to receive a behind-the-scenes look at Mayor Castor’s goals for redefining Tampa’s future for everyone.
Some of the key accomplishments and initiatives achieved under Mayor Jane Castor’s administration include:
- Establishing the 5 strategic goals for Transforming Tampa’s Tomorrow
- Creating PIPES, the largest water/wastewater infrastructure program in Tampa’s history
- Supporting permitting and development city-wide: The City of Tampa permitted $4.5 BILLION in development citywide in FY2020 despite challenges from COVID19 ($1.4 billion more than the previous year.)
- Launching Bridges to Business, a series of vendor certification events in Tampa neighborhoods designed to help minority, women-owned and small businesses get certified with the City of Tampa.
- Facilitating the McKay Bay Waste to Energy facility ownership. In 2020, Tampa became only the 2nd city in the nation to own and operate its own Waste to Energy Facility, which offers a more sustainable method of managing the city’s 360,000+ tons of waste per year.
- Declaring Tampa as part of the Vision Zero Network with the mission of eliminating all traffic fatalities and severe injuries.
- Unveiling the Resilient Tampa Roadmap, a tactical plan for building resilience by addressing Tampa’s most urgent shocks and stresses.
The 2021 State of the City video and a fact sheet on Mayor Castor’s key initiatives and achievements is available at: tampa.gov/MediaToolkit
Watch Mayor Jane Castor’s 2021 State of the City video on social media:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact: Janelle H. McGregor, 813-310-5545