Tampa, FL 33602
Luis E. Viera was raised in the North Tampa/Temple Terrace area and is a 2000 graduate of the University of South Florida and in 2003 graduated from Stetson College of Law. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 2003.
Luis is very active in his local community. He is the former Chairman of the Hillsborough County Bar Association Diversity Committee and a former Chairman of the City of Tampa Civil Service Board. He is a founder and former President of Lawyers Autism Awareness Foundation and previously served on the Board of Tampa Bay Best Buddies, an organization which assists and advocates for persons with special needs and developmental disabilities. He was also the Incoming President of the Tampa Hispanic Bar Association and a member of the George Edgecomb Bar Association.
Professionally, Luis has received the following professional awards and citations:
- Florida Super Lawyers (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015)
- Florida Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" (2012, 2013)
- Florida Trend Legal Elite (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015)
- Best Lawyers in America (2020-2021)
- Tampa Bay Business Journal "40 Under 40" Up and Comers
- 2012 Recipient of Equal Opportunities in the Profession Award from the Florida Bar Equal Opportunities Law Section
- 2013 Recipient of the Civic Involvement Award from Tampa Hispanic Heritage, Inc.
- 2014 Recipient of the Tampa Hispanic Bar Association President's Award for Service
- 2015 Recipient of Florida Association for Women Lawyers Leaders in the Law Award
- 2016 Recipient of the Tampa Hispanic Bar Association Luis Cabassa Award
Luis has also received the Keeping the American Patriotic Spirit Alive Award (2018) from the Hillsborough County Veterans Council and the Community Champion Award (2020) from the Hillsborough County Veterans Treatment Court Mentors.
As a Tampa City Councilman, Luis previously served on the Hillsborough County Public Transportation Commission and also served on the Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organization. He previously served as Chairman of the Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organizations’ Transportation Disadvantaged Committee. He presently serves on the Board of Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority (HART) and the One Tampa Executive Board. He currently serves as a member of the HART ADA and Tampa Historic Streetcar Committees. From 2019-2020, Luis served as Chairman of Tampa City Council and presently chairs Tampa City Council's Transportation Committee. Luis is also a member of numerous organizations, including the Thaddeus Stevens Society, the Tampa Hispanic Bar Association, the Hillsborough County Bar Association, Centro Asturiano de Tampa and the Urban League of Hillsborough County. Luis also serves on the City of Tampa’s One Tampa Foundation Board.
Luis lives in Hunters Green and has one son, Luis Viera II.