Flood Insurance is Available to All Property Owners
Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from flooding, so you may want to talk to your insurance agent about purchasing a separate flood insurance policy. Since Tampa is a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program, flood insurance policies are available to its citizens at a reduced rate. If you have flood insurance because your mortgage holder required it, it may not cover the loss of contents.
Note: If you exceed 50% of your home's value with improvements or repairs and you are in a special flood hazard area ("A" and "V" zones) the house must be brought up to current code standards, including elevating to above the base flood.
Protect your property before floods occur
You can take an active role in protecting your property from flood damage. The method you choose depends on your particular situation
- Water diversion with an earthen berm or swale
- Installing or redirecting roof gutters
- Reducing impervious surfaces
- Raise buildings above base flood levels
- Follow Federal Government recommendations that detail flood protection.
After or during a flood event
If you suspect the onset of flooding, the first thing to do is turn off the electricity and/or gas. If possible, move valuable contents upstairs or to an elevated area. Since you will probably not have much time to act, it is a good idea to have a flooding checklist ready just to make sure you don't forget anything valuable or important.
- Stay away from floodwaters--currents can be very strong
- Stay away from electrical lines. Call TECO @ (813)223-0800
- Check for gas leaks, if you have this utility
- Be alert for animals such as snakes, insects, and loose dogs
- Never drive through floodwaters--street flooding can conceal many hidden dangers
- Turn off your household electricity
- Watch your step! Trash and debris are left behind after floodwaters recede
- Place medicine, valuables, and important paperwork in a safe place
Important Phone Numbers
City of Tampa Residents:
Stormwater Operations (813) 274-3101
Construction Services Center (813) 274-3100
Hillsborough County Residents:
Emergency Operations Center (813) 276-2385