Sanitary sewage is a health hazard. If you experience a back-up be very careful to avoid contact with any sewer discharge which may carry infectious diseases like hepatitis and salmonella. If you are having back-up issues, slow draining tubs and/or sinks and hear gurgling noises in your drains please give us a call at 813-898-1420. Technicians from the department will be dispatched to make sure the blockage is not in our lines and contributing to sewer-related issues on your property.
Please check online for professional assistance to remove waste after a sewer blockage or back-up onto personal property. The City of Tampa cannot give recommendations.
If you do choose to do it yourself:
- Always wear protective gloves and boots. Rain gear is also advisable.
- Avoid contact with raw material, and be particularly careful of your face and eyes. Goggles are recommended when you are using a hose.
- Protect all cuts and scrapes. Immediately wash any wound that comes in contact with sewage.
To clean up after a back-up:
- Hose down the area, then wash surfaces with hot soapy water.
Disinfect surfaces with a 1:10 solution of household bleach and water.
When you're finished:
- Wash hands thoroughly before preparing food or eating.
- Wash and disinfect any clothing and supplies immediately after use.
For any sewer related claims contact The City of Tampa Risk Management Department at (813) 274-5708.