Missed Pickups / Green Recycling Cart Requests: ¶
The Recycling Division is responsible for ensuring that recyclable materials collected are recoverable and do not include contamination (prohibited items that cannot be placed in recycling). To accomplish this, the division focuses on education, outreach, monitoring and constantly improving the Department's comprehensive recycling program.
A part of the outreach efforts is to provide real-time, curbside education. This is done by placing tags on carts with visible contamination. The tags provide all the needed information to be successful in the recycling program and to avoid a tag in the future. If tagged, the cart is unable to be serviced because it is not compliant with the program. All contaminants will need to be removed before the next scheduled collection day to receive service. This is done to enhance the quality of recycling in Tampa. Many residents follow the program rules and only recycle what is listed as accepted. Those that need more information or reminders will likely receive it through a tag on their recycling cart. All areas of Tampa will be audited for tagging purposes.
Recycling Program Requirements ¶
- All accepted recyclables must be larger than the size of your fist.
- Leave items free and loose (not bagged).
- Only refer to the accepted items listed and do not use the plastic resin number as a guide for recycling. Not all items with the recycling symbol are accepted.
- Place the cart at the curb the night before your designated pickup day, or before 6 a.m. on your pickup day. Cart must be removed from the curb by end of the service day.
- All recyclable material must be inside the cart for collection.
- Ensure your cart lid is down to prevent items from getting wet.
- Unlike garbage, your recycling cart can wait to be full before being placed at the curb for collection service, just still make sure items are loose and not jammed in your cart.
Have questions regarding the industry, accepted materials, and our program? Click below to learn more.
Recycling Drop-Off Stations ¶
- These locations are self-service for your convenience.
- Assure all recyclables are loose and not bagged before placing them inside the recycling dumpsters.
- All recycling must be inside of the container or it will be considered illegal dumping, per Florida Statue 403.41315, and is a third degree felony.
- If the container is full, it is temporarily closed until emptied.
- Alert: The USF Recycling Drop-Off Location has been permanently closed. Please do not leave any refuse material at 504 USF Sycamore Drive, Tampa, FL 33617. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
McKay Bay Refuse-To-Energy Facility
114 S. 34th Street, Tampa, FL 33605
Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri - 7 am to 5:30 pm, Wed & Sat - 7 am to 4:30 pm
HCC Ybor City Campus
1400 E. 9th Avenue, Tampa, FL 33602
Mon to Sun - 7 am to 8 pm
For customer support please call:
Utilities Call Center - (813) 274-8811