Irrigation allowances in Tampa returned to a twice weekly year-round schedule effective Aug. 1, 2017.
Year-Round Watering Days
- At addresses ending in 0, 1, 2 or 3 - Mondays and Thursdays;
- At addresses ending in 4, 5, or 6 - Tuesdays and Fridays;
- At addresses ending in 7, 8 or 9 - Wednesdays and Saturdays;
- At locations with no address (common areas, entry areas), and locations with mixed addresses (office complexes, shopping centers) - Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Irrigation is permitted between midnight and 8 a.m. OR between 6 p.m. and midnight on the allowed days.
- Restrictions remain in place for irrigation of new and established landscapes, chemical treatments and irrigation system maintenance. Low-volume micro-irrigation, hand watering, car washing, fountain operation and power washing are unrestricted.
- The watering day allowances apply to all permanent, in-ground, automatic and manual irrigation systems and when using a garden hose with a portable hose-end sprinkler. Irrigation is not permitted between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on the allowed day.
- These restrictions apply to all water sources, except reclaimed water, although reclaimed water customers are encouraged to use only what they need.
Tips to Avoid an Irrigation Citation
- 8 Things to Know About Irrigating New Lawns and Landscape
- Getting the Most from Your Irrigation System
- Seasonal Irrigation Scheduling
- Improving Your Lawn's Drought Tolerance
The Tampa Water Department publishes updates and changes to local water restrictions in these ways: media releases, Alert Tampa notification, NextDoor, and utility customer billing inserts. Water use restrictions are in place year-round and affect all water sources, including wells. Violating water use restrictions in Tampa may result in penalties ranging from $100 to $450 and a mandatory court appearance. Restrictions are subject to change in response to local and regional water supply conditions. Additional information for citation recipients is available at TampaGov.net/water in the FAQ section.
Water use restrictions for City customers located outside Tampa city limits should follow restrictions in effect for the jurisdiction where the water is in use, such as unincorporated Hillsborough County or City of Temple Terrace. Links for information for surrounding areas may be found at MyWateringDay.com.
- Summary of Restrictions Enforcement Citations and Fines
- Petition for Variance; refer to Tampa Code Sec. 26-97 for criteria and procedures.